What You Need to Know About Preconception and Prenatal Genetic Testing with Kira Dineen MS, LCGC, CG (ASCP)
There are many genetic tests for those who are planning a family and those who are expecting a baby. It can be quite confusing what tests you should take and why. Many families are also concerned about how invasive the tests are, how accurate they are, and what they should do with their results.
To dive into this conversation about prenatal and preconception genetic testing Yoga Birth babies My name is Kyra Dineen MS, LCGC, CG(ASCP)CM, a board certified genetic counselor who specializes in working with pregnant women and helping people who are planning to become pregnant obtain family history and explore genetic testing options. She is also the host and producer of the DNA Today podcast.
Kyra helps demystify the many genetic tests that exist and helps you decide which tests may be best for you and your family. She is incredibly funny. I had such a great time. Although it can seem like a very difficult topic, the way Kira explains it and her enthusiasm will put you at ease and give you some clarity about genetic testing during pregnancy and preconception. I know you will enjoy this episode.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn about Kira and what led her to focus on genetic counseling.
- What is genetic testing and what do these tests look for.
- How accurate are genetic tests?
- During pregnancy, most people undergo these tests.
- Basic genetic tests that most pregnant women undergo.
- How genetic testing changes with age.
- Who may want to consider undergoing amniocentesis.
- Reasons why someone might refuse to undergo genetic testing.
- Potential risks of genetic testing.
- The least invasive tests.
- How genetic tests have changed over the past 5-10 years.
- The role of the genetic counselor and how he helps future parents navigate the tests and understand the results.
- There is one tip/advice Kira would like to offer new or expectant parents.
- Where to find Kira’s work.
Kira Dineen, MS, LCGC, CG(ASCP)CM (she/her), has ten years of podcast experience fueled by a passion for science communication. She hosts and produces 7 podcasts. Her flagship show, DNA Today, is in the top 1% of podcasts worldwide. Listeners learn about the latest advances in the world of genetics through Kira’s interviews on genetic technology, disorders and news. The show won the Best 2020, 2021 and 2022 Science and Medicine Podcast Awards. “DNA Today” has produced more than 200 episodes with the support of 50 sponsors. As a licensed certified genetic counselor, Kira Dineen meets with pregnant or planning-to-be pregnant patients to obtain family health histories and explore genetic testing options. Kira is also certified as a cytogenetic technologist and has worked in laboratories performing karyotyping and FISH of constitutional and cancer specimens.
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 simple solutions for the most common pains during pregnancy HERE
- If you like what you’ve heard, please leave a rating and review! Yoga Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC community:
Instagram and Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center