Safer Than You Think: Pregnancy After 35 with Dr. Nicole Rankins OB/GYN
Did you know that the number of first-time babies in the U.S. over the age of 35 is on the rise? I see countless parents in the PYC community (myself included) having their first child over the age of 35. So why have we heard that it is difficult and more dangerous to get pregnant after 35? What happens (or does not happen) at the age of 35 with the body and how can it affect pregnancy and childbirth?
To answer this question, I once again invited Dr. Nicole Rankins Yoga | Birth | Babies. This is my third episode with Dr. Rankins. She is an incredible guest. As an obstetrician/gynecologist, she has helped more than 1,500 babies to be born. She also has a great podcast Everything about pregnancy and childbirth which I turn to for sound scientific information that seems to come from a dear friend.
In today’s episode, Dr. Nicole and I talk about the risks and benefits of having children over 35. We talk about fertility, how care may or may not be different for those over 35, and how controlled or uncontrolled your birth can be. Dr. Nicole dispels huge myths. For those of you worried about getting pregnant after 35, this episode will put your mind at ease.
In this episode you will learn:
- Tell us about Dr. Nicole and what led her to become an OB/GYN.
- Factors contributing to an increase in the age of first parents.
- Is your pregnancy at 35 a congenital risk?
- After 35, does it become more difficult to get pregnant and give birth to a healthy child?
- Risk factors for having a child after 35 years.
- Preparing your body after age 35 if you are planning or trying to get pregnant.
- How does prenatal care for parents over 35 differ from those under 35.
- What is different about childbirth in people over 35 years old.
- Correlation between age, induction and caesarean section.
- The advantages are the birth of older children.
- One last tip/advice that Dr. Nicole would like to give to new or expectant parents.
- Where you can find Dr. Nicole’s work.
About Dr. Nicole:
Dr. Nicole is a Duke-trained, board-certified OB/GYN and mother of two who empowers first-time mothers to have the beautiful births they deserve. She has helped over 1,000 babies in her 20-year career and is a proud graduate of an HBCU (Spelman College and North Carolina A&T State University).
Her popular All About Pregnancy & Birth podcast is in the top 50 parenting podcasts with over 1.5 million downloads. As an interviewer and guest speaker, Dr. Nicole has spoken with leading experts and celebrities such as Tracee Ellis Ross, Peloton instructor Dr. Chelsea Jackson Roberts, and Samantha Busch, wife of NASCAR driver Kyle Busch. She regularly shares holistic, science-based information about pregnancy and childbirth with her community of over 20,000 people on Instagram and in her online classes, Plan Your Birth RIGHT and Birth Preparation Course.
When she’s not talking about her pregnancy, Dr. Nicole enjoys spending time with her husband, Falcon, and their two children, practicing yoga with Chelsea and Aditi, or riding Peloton with Kirsten.
Contact Dr. Nicole:
- Don’t forget to grab your FREE guide, 5 simple solutions for the most common pains during pregnancy HERE
- If you like what you’ve heard, please leave a rating and review! Yoga Birth|Babies (Apple) or on Spotify!
To connect with Deb and the PYC community:
Instagram and Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center