Utthan Pristhasana Yoga – Utthan Pristhasana yoga is also known as the Lizard Pose because the back of the body in this posture resembles the stretched out lizard. Utthan Pristhasana is a Sanskrit word where ‘Utthan’ means ‘Stretch out’, ‘Pristha’ means ‘Back of the body’ and ‘Asana’ means ‘Pose’. Lizard Pose is a basic level Yoga Pose that stretches and strengthens your inner hamstrings, groin and hips muscles.
Utthan Pristhasana yoga exercise activates the Sacral Chakra which is also known as Swadisthana Chakra. This yoga position is very easy to perform and it has lots of variation. In this yoga position, one foot is placed on the floor bending the knee while the other leg is stretched out completely behind, supporting the entire body on the forearms. So let’s begin this yoga session by knowing the detailed step-by-step instruction with the help of Utthan Pristhasana Yoga posture.
Steps to do Lizard Pose or Utthan Pristhasana Yoga Asana –
- First, come into the position of Adho Mukha Svanasana or downward facing dog pose.
- Now place your right foot outside the right hand and make sure your right foot in line with your forearms.
- Now slowly raise down your hips and stretch the left legs in the backwards direction.
- Align your back and head in one line and your right foot toes in the baseline of forearms.
- Keep your triceps straight and support them on both elbows with palms resting on the floor.
- Now lengthens your spine by looking forward.
- This is the final position of Lizard Pose.
- Stay in final position for as long as you can with breathing normally.
- If you want to release this pose then slowly slide your right legs in the backwards direction and come back into the downward facing dog pose.
- Repeat this yoga posture by placing your left foot on shoulder line.
Health Benefits of Utthan Pristhasana (The Lizard Pose) Yoga Exercise –
- Utthan Pristhasana opens your chest, shoulders, hip flexors, groins, and hamstrings muscles.
- Excellent hip opener yoga exercise.
- It activates the reproductive system.
- It strengthens the legs muscles.
- It gently massages your internal organs.
- Calms your mind and release stress.
- It gives maximum stretch to your gluteus muscles.
Contradictions & Precautions for Utthan Pristhasana Yoga Session –
Lizard Pose is a very simple yoga exercise which can be done by all beginners but instead of this you have to follow some precautions before performing this yoga asana –
- Avoid Lizard Pose yoga in case of back pain or knee injury.
- If you passed from any recent surgery of the abdomen, thorax, hips or legs then avoid this yoga posture.
- Do not perform this yoga position in case of sciatica or vertigo problem.
Finally, you get to know Utthan Pristhasana (The Lizard Pose) Yoga positions and its health benefits. Before performing this yoga asana read the step-by-step instruction carefully which are mentioned above. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.