Supta Vajrasana Yoga – Supta Vajrasana is also known as Supine Thunderbolt Pose which improves your digestion system and also increases your stamina. This yoga position very similar to Vajrasana yoga asana. It is an advanced level of Vajrasana yoga where the higher body reclines backwards, so the rear rests on the ground. Supta Vajrasana is a Sanskrit word where ‘Supta’ means ‘Reclined’, ‘Vajra’ means ‘ Thunderbolt’ and ‘Asana’ means ‘Pose’.
Supine Thunderbolt Pose has lots of variation which are Ardha Supta Vajrasana or Eka Pada Supta Vajrasana. This yoga asana has several health benefits but before this, we talk about what is the exact posture for this yoga session and how can we perform it with the help of step-by-step instruction.
Steps to do Supine Thunderbolt Pose or Supta Vajrasana Yoga Asana –
- First, sit on the floor with kneeling position or Vajrasana yoga posture.
- In this position, keep your both knees together and your buttocks should be resting on the lower legs and heels.
- Now slowly bend your body in the backwards direction with the help of arms and elbows support.
- At the same time, your head touches the ground and arch your back.
- Make sure your both hands should be resting on both side or either places them under your head.
- While doing so your lower legs should remain on the floor.
- Breathe normally and close your eyes and try to relax your body.
- This is the final position of Reclined Thunderbolt Pose.
- Hold this position as long as you can.
- At the initial stage, you feel some pain because of your thigh muscles fully stressed in the final position. So don’t worry about it with regular practice your thigh muscle becomes more flexible.
Health Benefits of Supta Vajrasana (Supine Thunderbolt Pose) Yoga Exercise –
- Supta Vajrasana makes your spine flexible and tones spinal nerves.
- It massages the abdominal organs assuaging digestive ailments and constipation.
- It gives the good stretch to the sacral region and become your back more flexible.
- It reduces respiratory disorder.
- It strengthens the thigh and calf muscles.
- It regulates the functioning of the adrenal glands.
- Beneficial for those who suffer from lung ailments such as bronchitis and asthma.
- It tones the pelvic muscles and the sciatic nerves.
- It loosens up the legs joints.
Contradictions & Precautions for Supta Vajrasana Yoga Session –
You have to avoid Supine Thunderbolt Pose in few situations and these are –
- If you are suffering from any knee or hips injury then avoid Supta Vajrasana yoga asana.
- If you have high blood pressure problem then don’t try this yoga asana.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga exercise session.
- Reclined Thunderbolt Pose should not be practised in case of sciatica or slipped disc problem.
So that’s all about Supta Vajrasana (Supine Thunderbolt Pose) Yoga position and their health benefits. You can also check detailed steps to perform Supine Thunderbolt Pose from here. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.