Supta Udarakarshanasana Yoga -
Supta Udarakarshanasana yoga is also known as the Sleeping Abdominal Stretch Pose which gives the good stretch to back and abdominal muscles. This yoga posture is very helpful in indigestion, excess gas or back pain problem. It gives good flexibility to your spine and tones abdomen organs also. Supta Udarakarshanasana is a Sanskrit word which derived from four words i.e 'Supta' means 'lying down or sleeping', 'Udara' means 'Abdomen', 'Akarshan' means 'Stretch' or 'Asana' means 'Pose'. So we called it Lying Abdominal Stretch Pose.
This yoga pose has lots of variation which are slightly different from each other. Abdominal Stretch Pose is very easy to perform and it can be done by all beginners. You can achieve lots of health benefits by practising this yoga asana exercise session but before this, you must have to know about what is the exact posture for Supta Udarakarshanasana Yoga and how can we perform it by step-by-step instruction.
Also, Check - Swastikasana (The Auspicious Pose) Yoga | Tiryaka Bhujangasana (Twisting Cobra Pose) Yoga
Steps to do Sleeping Abdominal Stretch Pose or Supta Udarakarshanasana Yoga Session -
- First, lie down on the floor on your back or in a Shavasana yoga position.
- In this position, your legs fully stretched outside and arms should be alongside your body with palms facing downwards.
- Now bring both feet together and bend your knees and pull them towards your abdomen region.
- Make sure your both legs should be lying on each other from toes to thigh.
- Now bring your both hands at the shoulder level and place them on the floor with palms facing downwards.
- Make sure your arms, elbows and shoulder should be in one straight line and must remain in contact with the floor.
- Inhale and slowly begin to lower the legs to the right side of the body and move your head and neck to the left side of the body.
- Make sure there is no gap between your legs in this position and keep them in touch with the floor.
- Hold this position for as long as you can by breathing normally.
- Repeat this process with another side also to complete this yoga cycle.
- You can also do this yoga asana by intertwining the two palms and place it under the head.
Health Benefits of Supta Udarakarshanasana (Sleeping Abdominal Stretch Pose) Yoga Exercise -
- Supta Udarakarshanasana Yoga exercise is very good for abdomen organs.
- It gives the good stretch to spine and makes it more flexible.
- It increases digestive system.
- It gives relief in constipation problem.
- Removes stress and stiffness in the back muscles caused by prolonged sitting.
- Good yoga posture to reduce lower back pain.
- It is a good relaxation pose which reduces mental stress.
Click Here - Supta Padangushtasana Yoga | Surya Namaskara (Sun Salutation Pose) Yoga
Contradictions & Precautions for Supta Udarakarshanasana Yoga Asana -
Sleeping Abdominal Stretch Pose is quite easy to perform but instead of this you have to follow some precautions before performing this yoga asana and these cautions are -
- If you are suffering from hips, knee or spinal injury then don't try this yoga asana.
- If you have sciatica or slipped disc problem then avoid this yoga posture.
- Do not stretch your body beyond your limit it may cause any health injury.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga posture in the later stage of pregnancy.
So that's all about Supta Udarakarshanasana (Sleeping Abdominal Stretch Pose) Yoga positions and its health benefits. You can also check detailed steps from here to perform Lying Abdominal Stretch Pose yoga session. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.
These articles might be interesting for you as well: