Supta Padangushtasana Yoga – Supta Padangushtasana yoga is also known as Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose which gives incredible stretch to your legs, hips and hamstring muscles. This yoga posture also increases your physical and mental health. Supta Padangushtasana comes from the Sanskrit word where ‘Supta’ means ‘Reclining’, ‘Pada’ means ‘Foot’, ‘Augusta’ means ‘Big Toe’ and ‘Asana’ means ‘Pose’.
In this yoga posture, we touch the big toe of the feet with the hands in the lying down position. You can also use a strap while doing so if found any difficulty. So let’s begin this yoga session by knowing that what is the exact posture for this yoga asana and how can we perform it in the easiest way.
Steps to do Supta Padangushtasana or Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose –
- First, lie down on the floor on your back with legs stretched out and your head should be resting on the floor.
- Now place both hands alongside the body just touches to your hips.
- Exhale and bend the right knee, and draw the thigh into your torso.
- Hold your right legs knee and pull it towards your chest.
- Now try to hold right leg toes with the fingers, if you failed to do so then you can use a strap to hold your feet.
- Straighten your right legs and pull up it further until it makes a 90-degree angle with the floor.
- At the same time, your left legs remain straight or erected on the floor.
- In this position, your left hand should be alongside to your body.
- Now you feel a good stretch in your right leg hamstring muscles.
- This is the final position of Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose.
- Breath normally in the final position and hold this posture for as long as you feel comfortable.
- Repeat this yoga posture with the left leg also.
Health Benefits of Supta Padangushtasana (Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose) Yoga Exercise –
- Supta Padangushtasana yoga gives the good stretch to thighs, hips, hamstrings, calves and groin muscles.
- It strengthens your legs muscles and makes them more flexible.
- It stimulates the prostate gland.
- Good yoga exercise for a backache, sciatica and menstrual disorder problems.
- The digestive organs are stimulated, and therefore, digestion is improved.
- It makes your knee stronger.
- It soothes the hips joints.
- It also relieves lower back pain.
Contradictions & Precautions for Supta Padangushtasana Yoga Session –
Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose is quite tough to perform at the initial stage. So before performing this yoga asana, you have to follow some precautions and these are –
- If you are suffering from a headache, diarrhoea or asthma problem then avoid this yoga posture.
- To support your head use a folded blanket.
- If you have any hips or knee injury then don’t try this yoga asana.
So finally, you get to know about Supta Padangushtasana (Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose) Yoga position and its detailed steps. You can also check health benefits of Reclining Hand to Big Toe Pose yoga from here. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.