Prasarita Padottanasana Yoga - Prasarita Padottanasana yoga is also known as Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose. This yoga posture gives the good stretch to back and leg muscles. Prasarita Padottanasana is a Sanskrit word where 'Prasarita' means 'Stretched Out', 'Pada' means 'Foot', 'Uttana' means 'Intense Stretch' and 'Asana' means 'Pose'.
This asana is usually practised at the end of the standing poses and serves as a good preparatory pose for inversions. Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose is quite tough to perform at the initial stage but regular practice of this asana become it easier. Let's begin this yoga asana by knowing the exact posture and how can we perform this yoga session with the help of detailed step-by-step instruction.
Also, Check - Sukhasana (The Easy Sitting Pose) Yoga | Ardha Purvottanasana Yoga
Steps to do Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose or Prasarita Padottanasana Yoga -
- First, come into the position of Tadasana by placing both hands on your hips.
- Now slowly spread out your legs 3-4 feet apart from each other.
- Make sure your inner feet are parallel to each other and turn the toes slightly inward.
- Now expend your chest and neck region and press the outer edges of your feet and ball of the big toe firmly into the floor.
- Now, exhale slowly and bend your body in the forwarding direction and make sure your torso should be straight.
- As your torso approaches parallel to the floor, press your fingertips onto the floor directly below your shoulders.
- Move your spine evenly into the back torso so that your back is slightly concave from the tailbone to the base of the skull.
- Push your top thighs straight back to help lengthen the front torso, and draw the inner groins away from each other to widen the base of your pelvis.
- Take a deep breath and bend your elbows and lower your torso and head into a full forward bend.
- Be sure to keep your arms parallel to each other and widen the shoulder blades across the back.
- Now you are in the final position of Prasarita Padottanasana yoga.
- Hold this position as long as you can and breath normally during the final position.
- This yoga posture has lots of variation and we will talk about them later.
Health Benefits of Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose) Yoga Exercise -
- Prasarita Padottanasana is an excellent exercise for back and hamstring muscles.
- It strengthened your spine and gives good stretch.
- It stretches the muscles of the legs, calf and the back.
- Good yoga posture to reduce belly fat.
- Release stress and calms your mind.
- It increases the flexibility of the calf muscles and ankles.
- Increase blood circulation towards the brain.
- Best yoga exercise which tones abdomen organs and increases digestion power.
Click Here - Uttanpadasana Yoga | Uttanasana Yoga
Contradictions & Precautions for Prasarita Padottanasana Yoga Session -
Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose is an advanced level of yoga which cannot be performed by all beginners. It requires lots of flexibility in back muscles. So you have to follow some precautions before performing this yoga asana-
- If you are suffering from any hips, neck or shoulder injury then avoid this yoga posture.
- In case of a spine or lower back problem it better to avoid this yoga position.
- If you have slip disc problem then don't try this yoga asana.
So that's all about Prasarita Padottanasana (Wide-Legged Forward Bend Pose) yoga position and its health benefits. You can also check detailed steps from here to perform this yoga posture with ease. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.
These articles might be interesting for you as well: