Paschimottanasana Yoga - Paschimottanasana yoga is also known as the Forward Bend Pose which gives the good stretch to your body from head to heels. It is one of the most popular yoga exercises which gives complete stretch to your back muscles. The name of this yoga asana comes from the Sanskrit word where 'Paschima' means 'Back', 'Uttana' means 'Stretch' and 'Asana' means 'Pose'. This yoga posture is also mentioned in Hatha Yoga Pradeepika which is written by Swatmarama.
Forward Bend Pose is not so easy to perform because it needs lots of flexibility. In this position, we try to hold our leg toes by the hands by bending forward direction. It's quite tough to do so at the initial stage but you we will be able to do this yoga posture after a few practise session. Let's begin this yoga session with the help of step-by-step instruction but before this, you have to know about what is the exact posture for this yoga asana.
Also, Check - Parivrtta Prasarita Padottanasana Yoga | Parivrtta Sukhasana Yoga
Steps to do Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana Yoga -
- First, sit on a plain surface with legs stretched out in front of you.
- Make sure your spine and neck should be erected at the same time.
- Now place your both hands on the legs knee.
- Slowly raise your hand and bend your head and trunk in the forward direction to catch the toes with the thumb or middle fingers.
- Now grab your toes and bend the head downwards till it touches the legs.
- If you found any difficulty to stretch your hands in forwarding direction then bend your elbows and place them on the floor alongside your knees.
- At the initial stage if you are not able to touch your head with legs, then it's okay.
- Don't strain your body beyond your limit to avoid any health injury.
- Remain same or hold this position for as long as you can and keep breathing normally and slowly.
- After performing Paschimottanasana, it is good to do any backward bending asana as a counter stretch.
Health Benefits of Paschimottanasana (Forward Bend Pose) Yoga Exercise -
- Paschimottanasana yoga asana is good for lower back, hamstring and hips muscles.
- Remove anxiety, anger, and irritability.
- It tones the abdomen organs like stomach, intestines, liver, kidneys and pancreas.
- Good yoga exercise for reproductive organs.
- It strengthens the calf and thigh muscles.
- Good yoga posture to balance menstrual cycles.
- It gives good flexibility to legs and back muscles.
Click Here - Parvatasana (The Mountain Pose) Yoga | Parivrtta Trikonasana Yoga
Contradictions & Precautions for Forward Bend Pose or Paschimottanasana Yoga -
Forward Bend Pose quiet tough to perform at the initial stage so you have to follow certainly precaution before performing this yoga asana -/p>
- If you are suffering from any hips or back injury then don't try this yoga posture.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga posture.
- In case of slip disc or sciatica problem, it's better to avoid this yoga position.
- Don't stretch your body beyond your limit which may be a cause of serious health issue.
So that's all about Paschimottanasana (Forward Bend Pose) Yoga position and their health benefits. Before performing this yoga asana first read the step-by-step instruction carefully. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.
These articles might be interesting for you as well: