Padmasana Yoga – Padmasana yoga is also known as the Lotus Pose which is a good meditation yoga asana. The name of this yoga position comes from the Sanskrit word where ‘Padma’ means ‘Lotus’ and ‘Asana’ means ‘Pose’. This yoga posture also is known as Kamalasan because the Hindi name of the lotus is kamal. It is a yogic exercise in which one crosses the legs while maintaining a straight posture. Padmasana Yoga position is also mentioned in Hatha Yoga Pradeepika which is the main yoga asana for meditation. This yoga posture is perfect for long periods of meditation as the body can be held motionless, with least distractions.
This yoga posture is very beneficial for those people who do setting jobs and they don’t have a chance to sit folding the knees. It gives good flexibility to your legs and also gives the good stretch to your lower legs, thigh and waist muscles. Now let’s begin this yoga session by knowing the exact posture of this yoga position and how can we perform it in the easiest way. First, have a look at the below-given Padmasana yoga image or posture.
Steps to do Lotus Pose or Padmasana Yoga Session –
Lotus Pose is a very simple yoga pose which can be done by all beginners. So before performing this yoga asana just follow or read below-mention steps carefully –
- First, sit on the floor with legs stretch outside.
- Place your both hands alongside your hips.
- This the basic relaxation position for this yoga exercise.
- Now slowly lift your right legs with the help of both hands and place it over the left leg.
- Make sure your both knees should touch the floor in this position.
- Try to adjust your both feet that your foot soul in upwards direction and the heels are tucked in at the waist level near the pelvic bone.
- Make sure your spine and head should be straight during this process.
- Now place your both hands palm on your knees and broaden your chest.
- Relax your abdomen and chest muscles.
- Now close your eyes and breathe normally and you have to aware about your breathing process.
- This is the final position of Lotus Pose.
- As you all know this yoga posture is good for meditation, so hold this posture as long as you can.
- One important thing you have to keep in your mind that is do not strain your body parts beyond your limit because it may distract your attention which is very essential.
Health Benefits of Padmasana (The Lotus Pose) Yoga Exercise –
- Padmasana Yoga asana highly beneficial for the meditative purpose.
- It completely calms your mind and inner soul.
- It gives good stretches to your ankles and knees.
- It stretches the spine.
- Good yoga posture to increase concentration power.
- It strengthens your hips and knee joints.
- It also reduces mild depression.
- It stimulates your abdomen, spine and bladder.
- Lotus Pose is good for nerves system and increases blood circulation in the abdominal region.
Contradictions & Precautions for Padmasana Yoga Posture –
You have to follow some guidelines and precautions before performing Lotus Pose yoga asana and these limitations are –
- Avoid Padmasana yoga asana in case of knee or hips injury.
- Strictly avoid this yoga asana if you have an ankle injury.
- Don,t strain your body beyond your limit it may distract your attention.
So that’s all about Padmasana (The Lotus Pose) Yoga Position and its health benefits. You can check detailed steps from here to perform Lotus Pose yoga. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.