Janu Sirsasana Yoga – Janu Sirsasana Yoga is also known as The Head to Knee Pose which is a part of primary series in Ashtanga Yoga. Janu Sirsasana is a Sanskrit word where ‘Janu’ stands for ‘Knee’, ‘Sirsa’ stands for ‘Head’ and ‘Asana’ stands for ‘Pose’. We called it Head to Knee Pose because in this yoga position our head touches the knee in the full expression of this pose. It is an excellent yoga posture which gives the flexibility of hamstring muscles, back, thighs, hip joints and arms. It also calms our mind and heart.
Before performing this yoga asana you have to keep one thing on your mind that is it can be done only with an empty stomach. Let’s begin this yoga session by knowing that what is the exact posture for this yoga exercise and how can we perform it in the easiest way. For this, please check the below-given Janu Sirsasana yoga image and later then check detailed steps to perform this posture.
Steps to do Head to Knee Pose or Janu Sirsasana Yoga Session –
It is a good stretching yoga exercise for the whole body and its requires lost of flexibility. You will be able to do this yoga posture after following these steps –
- Sit on the floor with an erect spine or in a Dandasana Pose.
- Now stretch your both legs in front of you away from your hips joint.
- Now slowly bend your left leg and place it under the right leg thigh.
- Make sure your left leg heel just close to your perineum and its touches your pubic bone.
- In this position, your right leg and knee comfortably pressed on the floor.
- Now slightly raise your hands up in the line of your ears.
- Take a deep breath and slowly bend your body in the forward direction.
- Now stretch your both hands and grab your right foot toes or the middle of the foot.
- Stretch your trunk in forwarding direction until your forehead touches the right leg knees.
- But one thing which you have to remember do not stretch too far because it will be a cause of an injury.
- Now you are in final position, breathe normally during this position.
- Remain same or hold this yoga position for a few seconds or as far as you comfortable.
- If you want to release this position the raise your trunk slowly and come back to in normal sitting position.
- Repeat this yoga session with another leg also.
Health Benefits of Janu Sirsasana (The Head to Knee Pose) Yoga Exercise –
- Janu Sirsasana Yoga Asana increases flexibility in your spine, abdomen and back muscles.
- Regular practice of this asana helps to calm your mind and relieves mild depression.
- This yoga posture gives the good massage to digestive organs.
- Improves the function of kidneys and liver.
- It reduces your belly fat and improves the reproductive system.
- Practising this asana also cures insomnia, sinusitis, and high blood pressure.
Contradictions & Precautions for Head to Knee Pose or Janu Sirsasana Yoga –
You have to avoid this yoga session and have to follow some caution before performing this yoga pose –
- Avoid this yoga asana in case of any knee or hips injury.
- If you are suffering from diarrhoea or asthma then don’t do this yoga session.
- Pregnant women should avoid this yoga posture.
- In case of serious lower back injury or Spondylosis.
So finally, you get to know about all thing which is necessary for Janu Sirsasana (The Head to Knee Pose) Yoga Session. We also provide detailed health benefits of this yoga type and how can we do it with the help of detailed steps & instruction. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.