Gomukhasana Yoga - Gomukhasana Yoga is also known as The Cow Face Pose which is a seated position. Gomukhasana is a Sanskrit word which is driven from the combination of the words ‘go’ means 'cow', ‘Mukha’ means 'Face', and asana meaning 'Pose'. That's why we also called it the cow face pose. The Sanskrit word Go also means Light, hence the name Gomukhasana can also be understood as Divine Light in the head.
The Cow Face Pose yoga exercise is very effective in diabetes, stiff back or shoulders, backaches and sexual ailments. This yoga posture is very easy to perform where both thighs and calves are placed in such a way that they are wide at one end and tapering at the other. Let's begin this yoga session by knowing the exact posture and steps which are taken during performing this yoga session.
Also, Check - Janu Sirsasana (The Head to Knee Pose) Yoga | Hamsasana (Swan Pose) Yoga
Steps to do Cow Face Pose or Gomukhasana Yoga Session -
- Sit on the floor with an erect spine and stretch both legs in front of you.
- Now slightly bend your left leg and placed it under right buttocks.
- Hold your right leg an place it on the left thigh and make sure both legs knees just close to each other.
- Now try to put your body weight on your buttocks.
- Now slowly bend your left arm in the backwards direction just touches to your back spine.
- Take your right arm over the right shoulder and try to catch the left hand.
- Now clasp the fingers of both hands behind the back.
- At the initial stage, it is quite tough to do so because it requires lots of flexibility.
- Keep your spine erect and try to expand your chest to get the good stretch.
- Now you are in the final position of Cow Face Pose.
- Breathe normally and deeply during this yoga posture and hold this yoga position as long as you comfortable.
Health Benefits of Gomukhasana (The Cow Face Pose) Yoga Exercise -
- Gomukhasana Yoga Asana gives good flexibility to back and makes it more elastic.
- It strengthens the muscles of the ankles, hips and thighs, shoulders, triceps, inner armpits and chest.
- It helps in the treatment of sciatica.
- It increases the function of the kidney.
- Very good yoga posture for diabetes patients.
- It reduces the stiffness of shoulder and relieves back pain.
- It reduces stress and anxiety and good for sexual ailments.
Click Here - Vajrasana Yoga (The Diamond Pose) | Hanumanasana (Monkey Pose) Yoga
Contradictions & Precautions for Gomukhasana or Cow Face Pose Yoga -
You have to follow some precautions before doing this yoga posture to avoid any health problem. These cautions are listed here -
- If you are suffering from any knee, shoulder or back pain then avoid this yoga session.
- Do not strain your body beyond the limit which may cause any back or spinal injury.
- Always use a strap if you fail to clasp your fingers.
- If you have spinal disorders then avoid this yoga posture.
So that's all about Gomukhasana Yoga Asana steps and its health benefits. You have to avoid this yoga session in few conditions which are listed in above section. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.
These articles might be interesting for you as well: