Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga – Eka Pada Koundinyasana or the one-legged pose is one of the balancing poses which strengthens the arms, neck and wrists. In Sanskrit “Eka” means ‘One’, “Pada” means ‘Foot’ and “Koundinya” means ‘a sage’ and Asana stands for Pose. So this yoga posture dedicated to the Sage Koundinya I. Eka Pada Koundinyasana is an arm balancing challenging pose that builds a strong core, shoulders, and legs.
This yoga posture is not so easy to perform because its requires lost of strength in your arms. You will be able to do this yoga position after a lot of practise session. Now you have to know about what is the exact posture for this yoga asana and for this have a look at the below-given picture.
Steps to do Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga Session –
- Start this yoga position in a standing position or Tadasana.
- In this position, your face should be towards the floor with thighs pressing together which is a squat position.
- Twist towards the left and place both the hands on the floor and make sure your right hand outside of your left thigh.
- Now try to lift yourself above the floor by using both hands in Parsva Bakasana Pose.
- Lift your hips and extend your sternum away from your navel and take the left leg backwards and at the same time move the right leg forward and let it rest on top of the right-hand elbow.
- Bring your knees as close to your right armpit as possible and try to keep your weight off the left arm.
- Straighten your left leg in the backwards direction so that your body in one line.
- This is the final position, where your right leg is pointing outwards towards the right and the left leg is straight in line with the body.
- Hold the final position for a few seconds or as far as you comfortable.
- To release the pose, lower the left leg and let it touch the floor same as the right leg and come back to the squat position.
Health Benefits of Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga Exercise –
- Eka Pada Koundinyasana or sage Koundinya strengthens your arms, neck and wrists.
- This yoga posture helpful to strengthens your spine.
- It tones abdominal organs.
- Good yoga exercise to rejuvenates the digestive organs.
Contradictions & Precautions for Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga –
You have to follow some precautions before starting this yoga session and these limitations are –
- It is an advanced level yoga posture so do it under surveillance of a yoga teacher.
- If you have arms, wrist or shoulder injury then avoid this yoga posture.
- In case of any lower back injury.
So that’s all about Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga posture and its steps. You can also check health benefits of Eka Pada Koundinyasana Yoga from here. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.