Dandasana Yoga – Dandasana or the Staff Pose is very simple yoga posture which starts from sitting pose. The word “Danda” comes from the Sanskrit word which means stick and the meaning of Asana is Posture. That’s why we called it The Staff Pose or Sitting Pose. This yoga posture will be performed in all other sitting yogic postures.
Dandasana Yoga improves body posture, strengthen your abdomen, chest, shoulder and back muscles. Let’s begin this yoga practise session by knowing the exact posture and for this have a look at the below-given picture.
Steps to do Dandasana or The Staff Pose Yoga Exercise –
You will be able to perform this Yoga session by following below-given detailed steps –
- Sit with an erect spine on the floor and stretch your legs in front of you.
- Place both hands on the floor alongside your body side or hips.
- Makes sure your palm point towards your toes.
- Keep the arms straight to provide a firm and gentle support to the spine.
- Bring the two legs together with touching each other.
- Now put pressure on your palm and open up your chest by looking forward.
- Push the thighs to the floor and maintain a straight gaze.
- Now you are in final position and breathe normally in this position.
- Hold this position for at least 30-60 second or as long as you can.
Health Benefits of Dandasana (Staff Pose) Yoga Session –
- Strengthens the muscles of the spine and improves body posture.
- It will increase the flexibility of the hips and pelvis.
- Gives good stretches to your chest and legs.
- Develops a strong core and calms the mind.
- It increases the flexibility of the lower back and hips.
Contraindications & Precautions for Dandasana (The Staff Pose) –
Dandasana Yoga very easy to perform but you have to follow some precautions and these are –
- Avoid this yoga posture in case of wrist or spine injury.
- Don’t try this if you have hamstrings problem.
This is all about Dandasana or The Staff Pose Yoga session and their health benefits. Keep in touch with us for more yoga type and their health benefits.