Ardha Purvottanasana Yoga - Ardha Purvottanasana yoga is also known as Reverse Table Top Pose which strengthens the core and arm muscles. This yoga posture also is known as Half Upward Plank Pose because in its final position it looks like a table where we support our body weight on two legs and two palms by facing upwards. This yoga posture is very similar to normal Table Top Pose. Ardha Purvottanasana is a Sanskrit word where 'Ardha' means 'Half', 'Purva' means 'East', 'Uttan' means 'Intense Stretch' and 'Asana' means 'Pose'.
The Reverse Table Top Pose is easy to perform and it can be done by all beginners. So let's begin this yoga session by knowing that what is the exact posture for this yoga exercise and how can we perform it with the help of step-by-step instruction.
Also, Check - Supta Baddha Konasana Yoga | Pranamasana (The Prayer Pose) Yoga
Steps to do Reverse Table Top Pose or Ardha Purvottanasana Yoga Asana -
- First, come into a Dandasana position with legs stretched out in front of you.
- Now slowly bend your knees and place them flat on the floor.
- Maintain a good gap between your legs to avoid any difficulty while lifting your body upwards.
- Now place your both hand behind the buttocks at the shoulder level.
- Make sure your fingertip should be inward just pointing the forward direction.
- Take a deep breath and firmly press the floor with hands and feet and try to raise your body up.
- In this position, your elbows should be straight and draw your shoulder blades firmly into your back and lift your chest.
- At the same time adjust your trunk, torso, and knees into one straight line just parallel to the floor.
- Keep your neck straight and makes the gaze by facing upwards.
- Now you are in the final position of Reverse Table Top Pose.
- Breath normally and hold this position for as long as you can.
- If you want to release this pose then slowly lower down your hip until it touches the floor and straightens your legs.
Health Benefits of Ardha Purvottanasana (Reverse Table Top Pose) Yoga Exercise -
- Ardha Purvottanasana yoga gives complete stretch to the upper part of your body especially the arms, wrists and legs.
- It strengthens the core muscles.
- Opening up and energize the front side of the body.
- It also improves body posture and balance.
- Safely stretches your hamstrings.
- It also relieves fatigue and stress.
- It gives the good stretch to spine and reduces lower back pain.
Click Here - Poorva Halasana (Preliminary Plough Pose) Yoga | Pincha Mayurasana (Feathered Peacock Pose) Yoga
Contradictions & Precautions for Reverse Table Top Pose Yoga Session -
Before performing Ardha Purvottanasana yoga asana you have to follow some precautions to avoid any health injury and these cautions are -
- Avoid this yoga exercise session if you have carpal tunnel syndrome.
- If you are suffering from knee or wrist injury then don't try this yoga pose.
- Avoid Reverse Table Top Pose yoga asana if you have any neck injury or spondylitis problem.
- If you have serious back pain then avoid this yoga posture.
So that's all about Ardha Purvottanasana (Reverse Table Top Pose) Yoga positions and its health benefits. You can also check detailed step-by-step instruction from here to perform Reverse Table Top Pose yoga session. Keep in touch with us for more yoga types and their health benefits.
These articles might be interesting for you as well: