Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga – Ardha Matsyendrasana or Half Spinal Twist Pose is also known as Half Lord of the Fishes Pose. In Sanskrit ‘ardha’ means ‘half’, ‘matsya’ means ‘fish’, ‘indra’ means ‘king’ and ‘asana’ means ‘pose’. This asana is named after the yogi Matsyendranath which means half twist pose of the king of fishes. This asana is also called Vakrasana. ‘Vakra’ means twisted in Sanskrit. It is one of the most difficult yoga position that’s why half twist pose was created and promoted because full twist pose can probably be done only by yoga experts and gymnasts.
Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga position is one the main asanas practised in hatha yoga. This is very effective in strengthening the spine and bringing flexibility. Now start this session with knowing other facts that are what is the exact posture for it and how can we perform this Half Spinal Twist Pose.
Steps to do Half Spinal Twist Pose or Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga Session –
- Sit in Vajrasana position or sit straight with stretching your legs in front of you.
- Bend the right leg, lift it and place in on the left side of the stretched left foot.
- Now place your left leg and try to touch your feet to your right buttock.
- Then, place the right leg next to the left knee by taking it over the knee.
- Exhaling, twist to the left, place the right arm on the outer side of the left knee and hold the left ankle with the right hand.
- Take the left arm behind the back and rest the back of the left hand on the right side of the waist.
- Now you are in a final position.
- Hold or remain same in this position for 30 to 60 seconds or as far as you comfortable.
- Breathe normally and deeply in this position for good result.
- Now come back in normal position and repeat Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga with other legs.
Health Benefits of doing Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga Position –
I hope you all understand about Half Spinal Twist Pose and its function. Now the first thing which comes to your mind that is what is health benefits for doing this yoga practise session. So for this please check below-given list –
- Good for increasing the flexibility and function of vertebrae of the spine.
- It tones the spinal nerves and improves its flexibility.
- Its relieve stiffness and back pain from between the vertebrae.
- Cures constipation and indigestion.
- Beneficial for slipped disc patient.
- Specifically stimulates Navel chakra or Manipura chakra.
- It tones the kidneys and improves secretion of the adrenal glands.
- It massages the organs in the abdominal region.
Precautions And Contraindications for Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga –
Half Spinal Twist Pose has lots of health benefits but it also has some restriction for new Beginner’s. Before starting this yoga session you have to follow few precautions and these are –
- Do not perform during pregnancy and periods.
- People who have recently undergone abdominal, heart or brain surgeries.
- In case of a hernia or peptic ulcers problem.
- If you are suffering from spinal problems then don’t do this yoga exercise.
So that’s all about Ardha Matsyendrasana Yoga Posture and its benefits. Half Spinal Twist Pose commonly done by yoga expert but you can also able to do this yoga asana after a few practise session. Keep in touch with us for more yoga session.